CAREER15 is a unique resource that connects students and graduates of 15 respected Virginia liberal arts colleges with human resources staff looking for potential interns and employees. It was created by the Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges (VFIC) to expand the career opportunities of students attending one of its 15 member colleges, and to serve the workforce needs of its corporate partners. This recruiting network is not a giant international job network. It's focused on bringing together a small, special group of student job seekers and the hiring managers of top-tier, Fortune 1000 level companies.
CAREER15's main feature is a gateway web site accessed at www.career15.com. This password-protected environment allows students and graduates to:
- File resumes
- Research top-tier companies
- View job postings
and allows employers to:
- Search and sort resumes by major, GPA, career interests and other pertinent characteristics
- Post company profile and/or current job openings
Other website tools include featured articles, company videos, career and job hunting tips and tricks, event calendar, featured jobs and social networking. Beyond the website connection, CAREER15 sponsors live blogs and off-campus and career events that give students and partner corporations additional opportunities to interact with each other.
Visiting Job Fairs or Interviewing for Internships or Jobs -- good suggestions for use of your time and theirs:
- Take the INITIATIVE and SPEAK with each employer in a meaningful way.
- PREPARE ahead of time - know how you will begin and end conversations.
- RESEARCH the business(es) ahead of time so that you speak knowledgably.
- DRESS APPROPRIATELY for business - not business casual.
- Speak POSITIVELY about your accomplishments and make eye contact.
- Ask your career services office to REVIEW your resume.
- Have a great RESUME with references prepared well ahead of time and give your resume to each person with whom you speak.
- REQUEST a business card from the person(s) with whom you speak.
- Follow up with a written THANK YOU for taking time to speak with you.
For more information, contact Emily Lowry: email@example.com.