The VFIC's Summer Undergraduate Research Program allows undergraduate students the opportunity to conduct supervised research with faculty mentors. Hands-on research is conducted in science-related areas with students receiving training in researching methods, analyzing data and creating written and oral presentations of their findings.
This unique educational program provides students with an in-depth learning experience and the opportunity to co-author published articles relating to their research. In some cases, students will join their faculty mentor to make presentations at regional and national scientific seminars. As a result of this program, students gain advantages for the graduate school admissions process and set the stage for meaningful careers in the sciences.
A Sample of Current and Past Research Projects
- Ecology of Small Mammals Using Burn Areas
- Surface Modication of Silica with Functional Silanes
- Melanoma-associated Suppression of Dendritic Cell Activation
- Effects of Bisphenol A on Development in Zebrafish
- Investigation of the Binding of the LL-37 Peptide to Its Natural Substrate DNA and to the Cucurbituril Class of Novel Therapeutics
- Synthesis and Characterization of Platinum-Carbonyl and Platinum-Hydrido Complexes Stabilized by Diphosphines
- Composition and Structure of White Cedar (Thuja occidentalis L.) Forests in the Northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Best Management Practices on Cattle Farms in Amherst County
- Climatic Influences on the Downhill Migration of Understory Plant Species
- The Examination of Anatomical and Physiological Changes Associated with Diet Induced Cognitive Impairment in Male and Female Rats
- The Use of Small Molecules to Control the Conformational State of the West Nile Virus Envelope Glycoprotein
- The Synthesis and Medicinal Study of 3(2H)-Furanone Derivatives
- The Affect that HIV-TAT, THC and Cytokines have on Chemokine Expression from Macrophages
- Corrosion of Carbon Doped Glasses The Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activity of Palo Santo Oil
- Examination of Microorganisms Obtained from Soda Fountain Machines
- How do Acacia-inhabiting Spiders Avoid Predation by Plant-defending Acacia Ants?
- Cucurbit[n]uril Based Receptors for Tryptophan Metabolites
- Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever
- Modeling User Data to Generate Automatically Realistic Test Cases for Web Applications
- Methane Spectroscopy for Modeling Atmospheres of Outer Planets
- Transcriptional Regulation of Gibberellin Biosynthesis
- Ecological Research and Adaptive Management for Wildlife Populations in Managed Systems
- Study and Investigation of Xel Emission for Photochemical and Photobiological Applications
- The Evolution of Swarm Intelligence
If you or your company would like to contribute to this worthwhile student summer scientific research program, please visit our Donor Information page for more information.